Animals love being warm and sitting near sources of heat. It’s common to see dogs and cats sitting near a heater vent or space heater, even after they get a bit toasty. Well, toasty is one of many ways to describe this cat, who got a little too close to this fireplace.
I’ve heard of chestnuts roasting on an open fire, but not whiskers. This poor cat must have been super relaxed and fell asleep in front of the fire. Either that or he felt like it was time to trim the whiskers a bit. At least it didn’t catch completely on fire! Also, why didn’t the person taking the photo (presumably, his owners) move the cat further away from the fire?