Pugs are one of the most popular breeds in the United States. They also rank among the top 10 cutest dog breeds, according to The Pet Collective. What’s not to love about these wrinkly little guys? From their expressive faces and curled-up bodies, they just seem like they want nothing more than to curl up on your lap for some snuggles.
Pugs may be small but that doesn’t mean they don’t have big personalities! Wondering how you can spoil your pug? Here are some fun facts about this adorable breed:
1) Pugs tend to live between 11-14 years old on average
2) Pugs were bred as lap dogs for Chinese Emperors
3) Pugs are smart but can be stubborn sometimes so training is important
4) Pug owners have reported their dogs having flatulence more often than other breeds
5) Their wrinkles are not dirty! They are folds of skin that help keep the pug cool on hot days.
6) The pug’s popularity in the United States has caused their population to actually outgrow demand, according to The Huffington Post.
7) A Pug is not a small breed of dog but is considered “medium-sized” with many weighing anywhere between 14-18 lbs
8) It is believed pugs originated in China in 200 BC, where they were bred as lap dogs for the Chinese emperors.
9) Pugs began to appear in Europe and Great Britain around 400 AD and even appeared in royal portraits
10) It is believed that pugs originated from a now-extinct Mongolian wolf because of their similarities in appearance.
11) Queen Victoria owned a small pug named Marco Polo, according to The Daily Mail.
12) Pugs are bred for their short noses because it makes them more tolerant of heat and exercise.
13) They also have wrinkly faces that help keep them cool while playing on hot days
14) A pug’s muzzle is usually black in color, according to The Huffington Post.
15) Their black noses can turn blue if they are not getting enough oxygen, which is known as “blue-nose syndrome”
16) Some pugs are born with deep bluish-black or “liver” colored noses, according to The Daily Mail.
17) A pug’s eyes should be dark and oval-shaped. The color can range from a chestnut brown to black, according to The Huffington Post.
Why Do People Love Pugs?
As with any type of animal, there is enormous variation between Pug breeds. In general, they’re small dogs with expressive faces and wiry hair who will want to curl up in your lap or under your arm for some cuddles. Their “wrinkled” faces help them stay cool in hot weather when their fur cannot do much about it.
People love pugs so much that you can be confident strangers will come up to you and ask if they can pet your wrinkly pet whenever you’re out walking your pet pug.