Are harnesses bad for dogs? Are the collars a better option? There are many myths and believes when it comes to using a dog harness. People tend to think that the classic collars are the best, but they ignore considering whether the dog’s health is at an optimum level.
Dog harnesses are not expensive and are better options for dogs than collars.
Why do we say so? What makes harnesses more suitable than collars?
In this article, we shall bring you all the answers to these questions.
Is it better to walk a dog with a harness or a collar?
When considering the fight between the harness vs. collar for the dog, there are a few things that we should consider. First, from the list is the health of the dogs, then comes the comfortableness and the type of harness that you are going to use. It would be best if you always were careful to pick a harness that would support the weight and the structure of your dog.
Walking a dog with a collar hurts his neck when he pulls. They are painful and can sometimes hurt his neck as well.
Harnesses, on the other hand, are not painful (if you pick the right one). They support the dog’s structure and are flexible with dogs’ movements. They are also not limited to a specific part of the body such as the neck and therefore does not put a lot of pain into a single point.
Harnesses are harder to escape from and hence are safer to use as well.
Some people believe that the harness causes the dog to pull more. But this is a complete lie. A dog that is not used to a collar will pull it just as much as a dog that is not used to wearing a harness would pull. So, the answer to the question will a harness stop a dog from pulling is pretty much straightforward. It will not cause pulling or stop pulling.
So inevitably a harness is a better option than a collar.
Is it safe to leave the harness on the dog all the time?
Leaving a dog with a harness all the time could be very uncomfortable for the dog. Pet parents should also consider what it could cause when the harness is wet. Leaving a harness 24/7 on the dog can cause skin irritations, and the dog can act aggressively and even damage himself and the harness due to the uncomfortableness it causes.
Therefore, it is better to use a harness only when it is necessary. The best is to teach your dog to stay still when putting the harness because, in that way, you can make sure that he accepts the harness.
Well, leaving a harness on the dog would be a hard thing to do.
Final words about dog harnesses
- There are some surprising facts about dog harnesses that you should know before buying one for your dog.
- You should make sure that the harness you buy suits your dog’s breed very well.
- You should make sure that it is made from quality leather or other material that would not cause any skin irritations.
- You should make sure that the harness is dry before putting it on your dog.
- You should also make sure that you are not leaving your dog with a wet harness.
- You should teach your dog to accept the harness because if not, you will find it extremely difficult to put it.
- You should also see for any marks of cuts or injuries that the harness might have caused before putting it on for a second time.